tgleichner

tgleichner

Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker

Kacey’s life is turned upside down after a car accident takes the lives of her parents, best friend, and boyfriend. Being the only survivor, she struggles to come to terms with why she survived, and tries to bury the memories of that horrific day through an exercise regime that helps control the anger, and bury her past self leaving a hard shell of the girl she used to be. When she realizes that her sister is in danger at the hands of their uncle, she packs them up and heads off to Miami for a fresh start. Not sure what to expect, she gets a job at a local Starbucks to make ends meet and try to save up for college for her sister. What she doesn’t expect is the feelings that get stirred when she meets their neighbor in the laundry room – Trent Emerson.

There is something about Trent that Kacey can’t put her finger on – there is more than just the physical attraction, so much more. And, even though she has vowed to keep her hard persona up, when she meets her neighbor Storm, and her little girl Mia, it is evident that this hard shell is going to start to crack. But, at what expense?

This story held my interest right up until the very end. I enjoyed it and thought the writing was good and the ending truly wrapped things up in a fantastic way. But, there were some parts of the story that I just felt lacked a little. I wish we could have gone more in depth as to what truly happened after Kacey finds out Trent’s shocking secret. ***SPOILER***It is obvious that their love was strong, but knowing that he was partially responsible for the car accident that took her loved ones, it seemed too rushed at the end for my liking. I hope that this isn’t the end of this story, as I did engage with the characters and want to find out what happens with Dan, Storm and Mia – and more importantly Kacey and Trent. My rating – 4 stars.

A copy of this book was sent to me on behalf of Atria from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.